Back to Articles
Softball: Ragin’ Cajuns Run Past Lions to Extend Undefeated Start to 2021
Eight runs over the final three at bats allows No. 8 Louisiana to close out Southeastern Louisiana
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Multiple runs piled up in each of the last three at bats allowed No. 8 Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball to quickly pull away from Southeastern Louisiana for a 9-1 (6 inn.) win to start Day 2 of the UAB Green and Gold Classic on Sunday at Mary Bowers Field.
The sprint to the finish line, which began in the bottom of the fourth inning of a 1-1 contest, was triggered by three consecutive hits that started off the game-changing frame and led to three runs that provided a 4-1 edge.
It all started with a leadoff triple from Melissa Mayeux which was immediately followed by an RBI single from Raina O'Neal, and then a run-scoring triple from Julie Rawls – all putting Louisiana (3-0) on the fast track to victory.
Rawls (2-for-3, double, triple, 3 RBI) kept the pressure on Southeastern Louisiana (4-4) in the next half inning with a back-breaking, two-run double with two outs that extended the lead to 6-1. The finishing touches came an inning later when the first three Ragin' Cajuns reached base ultimately leading to three additional runs that enforced the run rule.
The surge to the finish line was a rapid response to a solo home run by Briahna Bennett in the top half of the fourth which proved to be the only blemish on Louisiana starting pitcher Kandra Lamb.
Lamb (4.0 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 3 K) was assertive from the start for a second straight day. After stranding two Lions runners in the first inning, she would go on to retire nine straight batters prior to the solo homer.
Casey Dixon tossed the final two innings and held SLU scoreless to collect the save. Dixon retired six of the seven batters she faced, allowing only a one-out double in the fifth inning.
- The eight runs scored from the fourth inning on increased the Ragin' Cajuns total number of runs produced from the fourth inning on at the Green and Gold Classic to 14 (out of 18 total).
- Louisiana scored first for the third time in as many outings to start the 2021 season.
- Ragin' Cajuns pitching has held foes scoreless over the first three innings of play each contest at the Green and Gold Classic.
- Kandra Lamb (2-0) remained undefeated in her collegiate career improving to 5-0.
- In two starts at the Green and Gold Classic, Kandra Lamb has limited foes to just two runs and four hits over 8-2/3 innings of work.
- Following her fielder's choice RBI ground out in the sixth inning to end the game, Ciara Bryan now has at least one RBI in all three games in a Ragin' Cajuns uniform. Bryan has posted at least one RBI in 20 of the last 31 games she's competed in dating back to 2020 at Georgia.
- Casey Dixon collected her second career save (first since 2018). In two relief appearances in Birmingham, Dixon has not yielded an earned run through three innings pitched.
- Melissa Mayeux turned in her second multiple-hit game of the young season finishing 2-for-3 with two runs scored, a triple and an RBI. Mayeux is now 4-for-8 on the weekend and joins Ciara Bryan as Ragin' Cajuns in leading the squad with multiple-hit games (2).
- Louisiana collected its 34th consecutive win over Southeastern Louisiana and increased its all-time series lead to 50-1.
No. 8 Louisiana is set for a rematch with host-UAB on Sunday afternoon to wrap up play at the Green and Gold Classic. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m.
Saturday evening the Ragin' Cajuns claimed a 1-0 win over the Blazers as Summer Ellyson struck out seven and allowed just three hits in the complete game shutout.
Ragin' Cajuns fans can follow along with the action on SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM. Live video of the game will be available through CUSA.TV.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
- www.RaginCajuns.com -
Send this Page to a Friend!