Baseball: Contract terms between Deggs, Ragin' Cajuns revealed + photo gallery
Tim Buckley, The Advertiser, July 18, 2019
Click here for the photo gallery of the Cajuns welcoming their new head baseball coach.
UL has revealed financial details of the proposed contract for Matt Deggs, who was introduced Thursday as its new head baseball coach.
Deggs succeeds Tony Robichaux, who died July 3, 10 days after the 25-season-long Ragin' Cajuns head coach suffered a heart attack.
According to terms agreed upon by Deggs and the Cajuns, the deal is for five years with a mutual option for a one-year rollover after Year 1.
The contract also calls for an automatic one-year extension if UL wins a Sun Belt Conference championship – regular season or tournament – or makes an NCAA Regional at-large appearance.
Subject to approval by UL System Board of Supervisors, Deggs’ annual base salary will be $350,000 with a $25,000 deferred annual annuity contribution.
New UL baseball coach Matt Deggs will make $350,000 per season in base pay. (Photo: SCOTT CLAUSE/USA TODAY Network)
Deggs made $300,000 in base salary at Sam Houston State, where he spent the past five seasons as head coach.
The UL-Deggs contract also includes incentive-based potential bonuses totaling nearly $100,000 per season:
* $5,000 for unspecified academic achievement;
* $10,000 for a Sun Belt regular-season or tournament championship;
* $5,000 for an NCAA Regional appearance and another $5,000 for hosting a Regional, and $7,500 for an NCAA Super Regional appearance and another $7,500 for hosting a Regional;
* $10,000 for a College World Series appearance, and $20,000 for winning the CWS national championship;
* $5,000 each for winning Sun Belt and Louisiana Sports Writers Association Coach of the Year honors, and $7,000 for the South Regional Coach of the Year award; and
* $10,000 for being named national Coach of the Year.
Deggs coached the past five seasons at Sam Houston State, where he won three Southland Conference regular-season championships and made two NCAA Tournament appearances – including one with a Regional win – as Southland Tournament champions.
Buyout terms if Deggs were to separate himself from the contract: The coach would have to pay $500,000 in Year 1, decreasing by $100,000 in each subsequent year down to $100,000 in Year 5.
Buyout terms if Deggs were released not for cause were not immediately disclosed.