Back to Articles
Softball: No. 10 Louisiana Piles Up Big Numbers in Doubleheader Sweep of App State
BOONE, N.C. – No. 10 Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball worked through nearly six hours of weather delays on Saturday to capture an 8-0, 15-5 doubleheader sweep of Appalachian State – both wins by the run rule – at Sywassink/Lloyd Family Stadium.
Louisiana (37-4, 18-0 Sun Belt) erupted for seven runs in the third inning, all with two outs, after play resumed in Game 1 to lock up the win and the series victory. Kara Gremillion, Kourtney Gremillion and Alissa Dalton led the charge, each delivering extra base hits that produced two runs.
The Ragin' Cajuns produced at least three runs in their first four at bats, racing out to a 10-0 lead, to quickly distance themselves from the Mountaineers (27-14, 11-6 Sun Belt) in the nightcap. Dalton (4-for-4, 4 RBI) and Keeli Milligan (4-for-5, 3 RBI) each tallied four hits and combined for seven RBI.
Louisiana posted its sixth Sun Belt series sweep in as many weekends and matched the program's best start in league play (18-0). It marked the 52nd consecutive SBC series win dating back to March 2013.
Gerry Glasco's squad stretched its current win streak to 14 games and extended its road winning streak to 14 games as well.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS (Game 1)
Dalton opened the scoring after the delay with a two-run double off the center field wall. The Gremillion sisters put the exclamation point on the knockout punch as Kara doubled home two runs and Kourtney followed with a two-run home run.
Kara Gremillion used her speed in the fifth inning to bring the margin to the run rule, stealing second base which led to a pair of Mountaineers throwing errors which allowed her to score.
Summer Ellyson held App State to a single hit and struck out seven batters. She faced just two over the minimum in collecting her nation-leading 25th win of the season.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS (Game 2)
Dalton and Milligan recorded their season-high for hits (four), which is also the most by a Ragin' Cajun this season.
With four RBI (two-run double, two-run home run), Dalton concluded the twinbill with six total RBI.
The first pair of the three RBI which Milligan produced came off a double in the third inning which placed Louisiana in complete command at 9-0.
Alison Deville stopped an App State rally in the third inning by recording the final two outs after the hosts had closed within 10-5. Deville struck out four Mountaineers in her two innings of work.
Milligan started the Louisiana response in the fourth inning with a run-scoring single and two batters later Dalton returned the lead over the run-rule margin with a two-run home run.
- Alissa Dalton finished the doubleheader a perfect 6-for-6 at the plate. The performance raised her season average to a team-leading .421.
- With two multiple-hit games, Alissa Dalton moved into a tie with Julie Rawls for the team-lead with 13. Dalton has picked up nine multiple-hit games since March 20.
- Keeli Milligan became the third Ragin' Cajun to reach 40 hits, joining Alissa Dalton (48) and Sarah Hudek (42).
- Alison Deville turned in a second scoreless relief outing this week. Deville, who pitched the final 1-2/3 innings vs. Southeastern Louisiana on Wednesday, finished the week with 3-1/3 innings of scoreless softball pitched and posted six strikeouts.
- Louisiana totaled 23 runs and 23 hits in the twinbill sweep, its highest output in a two-game stretch since the final two games of the South Alabama series (March 23-24).
- The record 18-0 Sun Belt Conference start was first established in 2001 and matched by the 2004 squad which finished with that mark.
- The Ragin' Cajuns improved to 11-0 all-time against Appalachian State.
- Now with 15 true road victories, Louisiana surpassed Virginia Tech (14) for the national lead.
No. 10 Louisiana travels to Buies Creek, N.C. for a Monday evening matchup at Campbell. First pitch from Amanda Littlejohn Stadium is set for 4 p.m. (CDT).
The Ragin' Cajuns then conclude their East Coast road trip on Tuesday in Greensboro, N.C. with a 5 p.m. (CDT) contest at UNCG.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin' Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin' Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
- www.RaginCajuns.com -
Send this Page to a Friend!