Back to Articles
Softball: Early Edge Gives No. 10 Ragin' Cajuns Control in Win at McNeese
LAKE CHARLES – A bases-loaded scenario in the first inning led to all of the runs 10th-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball would need in a 4-0 win over McNeese on Wednesday at Cowgirl Diamond.
The first three Ragin' Cajuns to step to the plate reached base in succession then Bailey Curry, Lexie Comeaux and Alissa Dalton each drove home runs as Louisiana (30-4) quickly established momentum in the contest.
Summer Ellyson locked up the Cowgirls (17-21) during her five innings in the circle, allowing only an infield single in facing only one over the minimum. Ellyson needed only 52 pitches to traverse her five-inning effort.
The win extended Louisiana's road win streak to 11 games and moved the squad into the nation's lead with 12 road victories.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Dalton was 3-for-3 at the plate which extended her hitting streak to 10 games and marked her sixth multiple-hit game since March 20. Her run-scoring tally in the three-run first was yet another two-out RBI (seventh in past three weeks).
Sarah Hudek homered for the second straight game, leading off the third inning with a solo home run for added measure to the advantage. She also scored a game-high two runs.
Ellyson notched nine strikeouts out of the 16 McNeese batters faced in collecting her nation-leading 21st victory.
Carrie Boswell and Kandra Lamb combined for the final two innings of scoreless softball tossed.
- Louisiana and McNeese split the season series with the visiting team claiming both matchups.
- Alissa Dalton's 10-game hitting streak is the longest by a Ragin' Cajun this season. The streak is three off her career-best, 14 game-streak recorded in 2018.
- Since March 20, Alissa Dalton is batting .654 (17-for-26), has collected six multiple-hit games and driven in seven runs in two-out situations.
- Wednesday night's performance brought Alissa Dalton's season average above .400 (now at .409) for the first time since Feb. 11.
- Over the past 28 innings pitched the Ragin' Cajuns pitching staff has allowed only one earned run.
- Sarah Hudek's eight home runs tie her with Raina O'Neal for second-most on the team and matches her career-high total hit last season at Texas A&M.
- Summer Ellyson turned in a scoreless performance for the 14th time in 27 appearances. For the 20th time, her final line included one run or fewer allowed.
- Carrie Boswell has worked 15 innings dating back to March 22 at South Alabama. She's surrendered only four earned runs to the opposition during the timeframe.
- The win allowed Louisiana to break a tie with Appalachian State and Virginia Tech for the nation's lead in true road wins.
No. 10 Louisiana hosts UT Arlington in a Sun Belt Conference series Friday-Sunday, April 5-7 at Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park. The Ragin' Cajuns and Mavericks begin the series at 6 p.m. on Friday.
It's Organ Donor Awareness Weekend at Lamson Park with a buy one, get one free ticket promotion available the entire weekend for individuals with organ donor identification. Additionally, Friday is Girl Scouts Night and Saturday is UL Lafayette Faculty and Staff Appreciation Day.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin' Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin' Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
- www.RaginCajuns.com -
Send this Page to a Friend!