Back to Articles
Softball: Ellyson Leads No. 11 Ragin' Cajuns to Triumphant Return Home + Photo Gallery by Brad Kemp
Offense delivered in critical moments to support the junior right hander in win over Baylor
Click here for photo gallery by Brad Kemp, Acadiana Morning Advocate.
LAFAYETTE – A dominant performance from Summer Ellyson and timely hits provided No. 11 Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball with a 4-1 win over Baylor on Monday night at Lamson Park.
Ellyson paved the way to her 13th win of the season with a season-high 17 strikeouts. She notched three strikeouts every inning from the second though fifth inning.
Kourtney Gremillion, who posted a game-high two RBI, put Louisiana (19-3) ahead to stay with a sharp infield single off Baylor Sidney Holman that plated Julie Rawls in the fourth inning.
Rawls later doubled in the sixth inning to cap off a 3-for-3 performance at the plate and set the stage for a pair of insurance runs.
Louisiana remained undefeated at Lamson Park in 2019 and picked up its second win over the Bears (11-9).
KEY MOMENTS OF THE GAME
- Goose McGlaun put the Bears on the board first with a solo home run in the second inning. Ellyson quickly turned the momentum back in Louisiana's favor by striking out the next three to end the frame.
- Keeli Milligan got aboard the base path to start the third inning, then used her speed advancing to third following a stolen base and wild pitch. She scored on a Kara Gremillion grounder to knot the game at 1-all.
- Gremillion's game-winning hit in the fourth inning ricocheted off of Holman far enough to allow Rawls to race home from second base a break the tie.
- A leadoff walk and stolen base in the fifth inning put a runner in scoring position for Baylor. Ellyson prevented the equalizer with a pair of strikeouts.
- Alissa Dalton singled and Rawls doubled to start off the sixth inning as the push for additional support for Ellyson began.
- Summer Ellyson reached double digits in strikeouts for the third time and bested her previous season-high of 16 vs. Fordham in the season opener.
- Kourtney Gremillion has produced six RBI over the past three games.
- Julie Rawls posted her team-leading seventh multiple-hit game and increased her batting average to a now team-best .426.
No. 11 Louisiana travels to Thibodaux, La., on Wednesday for a midweek contest at Nicholls set for 6 p.m. at the Colonel Softball Complex.
The Ragin' Cajuns are then back at Lamson Park March 15-17 for the Sun Belt home opening series, and Alumni Weekend, hosting Troy.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin' Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin' Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
- www.RaginCajuns.com -
Send this Page to a Friend!