Back to Articles
Softball: Louisiana Sweeps Texas State in First Road SBC Series, 7-4
No. 11 Louisiana returns to Lamson Park on Monday for matchup with Baylor
SAN MARCOS, Texas – A four-run fourth inning built a sizeable margin for No. 11 Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball and led to a 7-4 win over Texas State which completed a series sweep on Sun Belt Conference Opening Weekend.
In the big inning the Ragin' Cajuns (18-3, 3-0 Sun Belt), who entered with a 2-0 lead off solo home runs by Alissa Dalton and Lexie Comeaux, utilized their speed to move into position to bring the runs across and stretch the lead to 6-0.
Summer Ellyson, who earned her 12th victory of the season, pitched no-hit softball the first five innings and in the final 1-1/3 after she re-entered following a four-run, walk-aided push by the Bobcats (9-14, 0-3 Sun Belt) in the fifth inning.
Louisiana collected its first Sun Belt series sweep in San Marcos since Texas State joined the league in 2014.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Both Dalton (2-for-4, run, RBI) and Comeaux (2-for-2, run, 2 RBI) tallied multiple-hit games.
Bailey Curry and Raina O'Neal had a double each, increasing the Ragin' Cajuns extra base hits total to four. Curry's double put the fourth inning surge in motion while O'Neal's double started the sixth inning and led to an insurance run.
Louisiana collected six stolen bases led by two apiece from Keeli Milligan and Casidy Chaumont who both tallied their swipes in the fourth inning.
Ellyson was in control the entire afternoon in collecting her third win in the series. A pair of walks represented the only Bobcats she allowed to reach base in 6-1/3 innings of work.
KEY MOMENTS OF THE GAME
- Two batters into the contest Dalton began the march to victory with a solo home run when she lifted the first pitch she saw over the right center field wall.
- Sarah Hudek walked to lead off the fourth inning, then Curry followed with a double and Louisiana quickly had two runners in scoring position.
- With a combination of four stolen bases (Milligan stole home) and a timely single from Chaumont the Ragin' Cajuns left the fourth inning with a 6-0 lead.
- Four walks issued by Kandra Lamb during her relief effort in the fifth inning led to Texas State trimming the lead to 6-4.
- Ellyson closed out the fifth inning, then retired the side in the sixth inning to return the momentum to Louisiana's side.
- Louisiana concluded its three-week road trip, which began Feb. 22-24 at the Baylor Invitational, with a 7-3 mark.
- Summer Ellyson closed out the weekend series with 12-2/3 scoreless innings pitched. The Preseason Sun Belt Pitcher of the Year yielded only one earned run and six hits in 14-2/3 innings pitched the entire series.
- The Ragin' Cajuns had at least three extra base hits each game of the series, four each of the final two outings, concluding the weekend with 11 (six doubles, five home runs).
- Bailey Curry extended her current hitting streak to six games, her season-high streak.
No. 11 Louisiana returns to Lamson Park on Monday for RCAF Day featuring a single game vs. Baylor. The 6 p.m. contest will be broadcast on Cox Sports Television.
A midweek road game on Wednesday at Nicholls follows the matchup with Baylor, then the Ragin' Cajuns are back at Lamson Park for the Sun Belt home opening series, and Alumni Weekend, hosting Troy (March 15-17).
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin' Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin' Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
- www.RaginCajuns.com -
Send this Page to a Friend!