Back to Articles
Softball: 11th-ranked Louisiana Collects Sun Belt Series Win
Paced by the Gremillion sisters Louisiana claims middle game of Texas State series
SAN MARCOS, Texas – Led by the Gremillion sister tandem 11th-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball defeated Texas State 5-3 on Saturday and captured the series victory on Sun Belt Opening Weekend.
Kourtney Gremillion lifted Louisiana (17-3, 2-0 Sun Belt) out of a deficit with a two-run home run in the fourth inning that drew a 3-all tie. Two innings later, it was a two-out, run-scoring double by Kara Gremillion which plated the winning run.
The spark by the Gremillions was backed up by 5-2/3 innings of scoreless relief pitching combined from Carrie Boswell and Summer Ellyson.
The Ragin' Cajuns extended their school-and Sun Belt-record of consecutive league series won to 47 straight, a streak which dates back five-plus seasons to March 2013.
The comeback victory over the Bobcats (9-13, 0-2 Sun Belt) marked the latest deficit overcome this season for Louisiana.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Kourtney Gremillion finished with game-highs in hits (3) and RBI (3). She produced runs off a double and home run, upping her season RBI total to 10 which makes her the eighth Ragin' Cajun to reach double figures.
Kara Gremillion and Boswell each added doubles as Louisiana totaled three in the game.
Sarah Hudek went 2-for-4 at the plate to record her fourth straight game with multiple hits.
In gaining her 11th triumph of the season, Summer Ellyson tossed 3-1/3 scoreless innings. She entered in the fourth inning, didn't yield a hit until the seventh inning and stranded five Bobcats in scoring position.
KEY MOMENTS OF THE GAME
- Back-to-back doubles by Boswell and Kourtney Gremillion started the second inning and led to a run for the Ragin' Cajuns.
- Texas State slipped across three unearned runs in its second inning at bat, benefitting from a fielding error on an attempted force play at second base.
- The Boswell-Gremillion combo paid dividends again in the fourth inning in the form a leadoff walk and home run which drew a 3-all tie.
- Sarah Hudek preserved the tie in the fifth inning when she made a sliding catch of a low line drive off the bat of Haleigh Davis for the final out.
- Kara Gremillion's run-scoring double came in the clutch with two-outs in the sixth inning. In the seventh inning it was a Boswell RBI groundout which provided insurance.
- After back-to-back infield singles and a sacrifice bunt gave Texas State runners at second and third in the seventh inning, Ellyson retired the final two batters to clinch the win.
- Kourtney Gremillion's home run marked the Ragin' Cajuns 24th of the season, surpassing last season's total in the 20th contest of the season.
- Louisiana scored first for the 14th time, remaining undefeated when doing so.
- Prior to Saturday, the Ragin' Cajuns latest deficit overcome was on Feb. 17 vs. Stephen F. Austin (forged a tie in the third inning).
- Louisiana improved to 6-3 on its present three-week road trip which concludes on Sunday in San Marcos.
No. 11 Louisiana and Texas State conclude Sun Belt Conference Opening Weekend action on Sunday at 12:30 p.m. inside Bobcat Softball Stadium in San Marcos.
Fans can listen to the play-by-play called by Bobby Neveaux on SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM. A live stream, for purchase, is available at TXStateBobcats.com/Watch.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin' Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin' Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
Send this Page to a Friend!