Back to Articles
Softball: Baylor Takes Extra Innings Battle from No. 10 Louisiana
Bears use two-out rally in eighth inning to take consolation game of Baylor Invitational
WACO, Texas – 10th-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball was edged 4-3 (8 inn.) by No. 21 Baylor in an extra innings contest on the final day of the Baylor Invitational at Getterman Stadium.
The Bears (9-7) used a trio of two-out hits in the eighth inning to score the international tiebreaking run and the decisive one. The Ragin' Cajuns (14-2) picked up a run in the bottom half and moved the tying run to third base, but Sidney Holman notched a strikeout to preserve the lead.
Louisiana erased a two-run deficit in the fourth inning when Lexie Comeaux drove in a pair of runs with a two-out double. Summer Ellyson retired Baylor in order the final three innings of regulation play to set the stage for the extra frame.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Comeaux's double accounted for two of Louisiana's three runs driven in. Alissa Dalton plated the run in the eighth inning with a fielder's choice grounder, increasing her team-leading RBI total to 19.
Dalton had a game-high three stolen bases and Keeli Milligan swiped a pair as Louisiana totaled seven in the game.
Bailey Curry posted a double and a pair of walks to her stat line. Her double started the Ragin' Cajuns rally in the fourth inning.
Ellyson recorded six strikeouts, reaching or surpassing five for the third time in as many starts in the tournament and fourth straight game overall.
KEY MOMENTS OF THE GAME
- Baylor gained an early advantage with single runs in the second and third inning off Nicky Dawson's perfectly placed double and a solo home run from Kassidy Krupit, respectively.
- Comeaux's double in the fourth inning created a new ball game and prevented Holman and the Bears from escaping a runners on second and third with one out jam.
- Milligan singled with two outs in the seventh inning and wound up at third base after a stolen base and wild pitch. Holman picked up the first of two key strikeouts in Louisiana's last two at bats to preserve the tie.
- After two quick outs to start the top of the eighth with the international tiebreaking run at second base, Goose McGlaun started the two-out rally for the Bears with an RBI single back up the middle which broke the 2-2 tie.
No. 10 Louisiana remains on the road traveling to Norman, Okla., next weekend for the Oklahoma Courtyard Marriott Tournament March 1-3 hosted by the fourth-ranked Sooners at Marita Hynes Field.
The Ragin' Cajuns, Oklahoma and Oregon State are participating in a true round robin, facing each other twice throughout the weekend.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin' Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin' Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
Send this Page to a Friend!