Back to Articles
Softball: Saturday Sweep Extends Undefeated Start for Louisiana
No. 13 Louisiana advances to Sunday’s 12:30 p.m. title game in Louisiana Classics
LAFAYETTE – 13th-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball remained undefeated and advanced to the championship game of the 33rd Annual Louisiana Classics following a pair of run-rule wins on Saturday at Lamson Park.
Louisiana (10-0) methodically built a 6-0 advantage over the first three innings, then Casidy Chaumont delivered the final blow with a pinch-hit, two-run double in the sixth inning of a 9-1 (6 inn.) win over Stephen F. Austin (7-2) which clinched the top seed in bracket play.
The Ragin' Cajuns secured their spot in Sunday's 12:30 p.m. championship game after pulling away from Austin Peay (4-5) by producing five runs over the middle innings on the way to an 8-0 (6 inn.) triumph.
The season-opening win streak, now at 10 games, has Louisiana off to its best start since 2015.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Alissa Dalton's three RBI led a group of five Ragin' Cajuns who posted multiple RBI on the day. Chaumont, Kara Gremillion, Sarah Hudek and Keeli Milligan each posted two RBI.
Milligan was a factor on the base path once again, swiping four stolen bases to increase her season total to 15-for-15.
Summer Ellyson collected both victories and limited the LadyJacks and Governors to a combined four base hits in 9-2/3 innings. Ellyson, who moved to 6-0 on the young season, ended the day retiring the final 13 APSU batters she faced.
KEY MOMENTS VS. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
KEY MOMENTS VS. AUSTIN PEAY
- What was a simple RBI single by Hudek in the third inning resulted in her crossing home plate after a three-base error by SFA center fielder Brittany Crawford. That sequence allowed Louisiana to stretch its lead to 6-0.
- After the LadyJacks scratched a run in the fifth inning, Carrie Boswell induced a ground ball with the bases loaded for the final out keeping the visitors from inching closer.
- Chaumont's pinch-hit double in the sixth inning which scored two runs, upped the lead to 8-1 and put her in position to score the game-ending run on Gremillion's single.
- Facing pitcher Morgan Rackel for the second straight day, Gremillion broke the ice by perfectly executing a squeeze bunt to score Milligan in the first inning.
- Lexie Comeaux opened the fourth inning with a solo homer which set the tone for the middle innings barrage.
- Louisiana extended its lead to 7-0 in the fifth inning, all with two outs, after Dalton drove a two-run, ground-rule double to center field and scored when Raina O'Neal followed with a single.
No. 13 Louisiana meets Stephen F. Austin in the championship game of the 33rd Annual Louisiana Classics at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday at Lamson Park.
The contest will be live streamed at RaginCajuns.com/Watch with Cody Junot calling the action. Fans can also listen to all of the action called by Steve Peloquin and Bobby Neveaux on SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin' Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin' Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
Athletic Network Footnote by Dr. Ed Dugas.
Click here for game photo gallery by the Advertiser.
Send this Page to a Friend!