Back to Articles
Softball: Louisiana Lineup Showcases Strengths in Friday Sweep
No. 15 Louisiana Softball piled up runs, hits and stolen bases on Day 2 of Ragin’ Cajuns Classic
LAFAYETTE – 15th-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball used a combination of power and speed to collect a sweep on Friday in the Ragin' Cajuns Classic at Lamson Park.
The Ragin' Cajuns (3-0) produced 12 extra base hits and swiped 14 stolen bases over the course of the day. The end result was an 11-0 win over Incarnate Word and 15-0 win over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, both in five-inning, run-rule fashion.
Freshman pitcher Kandra Lamb had the spotlight performance in the circle, tossing a no-hitter in her collegiate debut vs. UIW.
The offense produced at least one run in all but one of the eight innings at the plate.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Raina O'Neal had the most productive day at the plate finishing 6-for-7 (.857) with a pair of doubles and RBI. Lexie Comeaux had a team-high three extra base hits, collecting a double, triple and home run.
Bailey Curry delivered a pair of multiple-RBI contests by driving home three runs in both games. Her first home run as a Ragin' Cajun was the decisive blow in an eight-run third inning that put TAMUCC away.
Louisiana also received multi-RBI efforts from Kara Gremillion (4), Comeaux (3), Alissa Dalton (3), and Sarah Hudek (2).
Seven different players collected at least one stolen base with Keeli Milligan's four leading the way. Milligan and Gremillion each swiped three bases vs. UIW as the Ragin' Cajuns piled up eight stolen bases in the game.
Lamb faced only one over the minimum and struck out five in her no-hit effort. Summer Ellyson extended her season-opening streak of scoreless innings pitched to 11 and added eight more strikeouts to her season tally which now stands at 24.
KEY MOMENTS VS. INCARNATE WORD
KEY MOMENTS VS. TEXAS A&M CORPUS CHRISTI
- Five stolen bases in the first inning put Louisiana in position to manufacture five runs which had Incarnate Word facing an uphill battle.
- Lamb preserved the shutout with a strikeout after the lone base runner to reach base (leadoff walk) reached third base following a wild pitch.
- The top of the order put the game away in the third inning after Gremillion delivered a two-run single and Curry and O'Neal posted consecutive RBI doubles to extend the lead to 10-0.
- Hudek hit her first home run as a Ragin' Cajun to snap a scoreless tie in the second inning. An inning later, it was Curry's blast to left center which stretched the lead to 6-0.
- Louisiana plated eight runs, all with two outs, to run away with the game in the fourth inning. At one point there were five consecutive extra base hits recorded highlighted by a bases-clearing triple from Dalton and a pinch-hit, two-run homer from Jolie Readeaux.
Louisiana and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi are set for a rematch in the Ragin' Cajuns Classic on Saturday. First pitch is set for 4:30 p.m. from Lamson Park.
The contest will air live on ESPN with Dan McDonald and Gerald Broussard calling the action. Fans can listen to all of the action on SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM with Ian Auzenne on the call.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin' Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin' Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
Send this Page to a Friend!