Men's Basketball: Gant Earns SBC Weekly Honors
Matt Sullivan, Associate Director of Athletics Communications
NEW ORLEANS – After helping the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns to a pair of wins last week at home, senior JaKeenan Gant was named on Monday as the Sun Belt Conference Men's Basketball Co-Player of the Week in a vote by the league's head coaches.
Gant led Louisiana (13-7, 4-3 SBC) to a 2-0 week after averaging 24.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, 3.0 blocks, 2.0 assists and 1.5 steals per game. He opened the week with a 28-point performance against South Alabama, going 10-for-19 from the floor while grabbing eight rebounds and blocking three shots.
In Louisiana's 86-81 victory over Troy last Saturday, Gant posted his eighth double-double of the season with 21 points and 10 rebounds. Gant blocked three shots, dished out three assists and added a pair of steals in helping the Ragin' Cajuns win their third game in the last four contests.
The award for Gant, who shared SBC weekly honors with South Alabama's Trhae Mitchell, was his second in three weeks
Louisiana will return to action on Thursday (Jan. 31) when it travels to face Appalachian State in Boone, N.C. Tipoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT and will be streamed live on ESPN
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, or by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2357.
• All current UL faculty and staff, along with recent graduates (within the last five years), can purchase season tickets at a 50-percent discount to cheer on the Ragin' Cajuns during the 2018-19 season at the Cajundome.
• The special package will allow recent graduates of Louisiana to purchase tickets in sections 101-103. Discounts will be applied upon confirmation of graduate status by the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office.
GET YOUR PASSPORT
• The game against Southern is part of the "Louisiana Passport," which will recognize Ragin' Cajuns fans who attend all eight of Louisiana's scheduled games against in-state opponents during the 2018-19 season.
• Each game, beginning with the Ragin' Cajuns Nov. 28 game at New Orleans, fans will get their passport stamped at a location to be determined. In-state games for the Ragin' Cajuns include home games against Southern (Dec. 1), Loyola (Dec. 5), Louisiana Tech (Dec. 15) and ULM (Feb. 16), with additional road games slated against McNeese State (Dec. 18), Southeastern Louisiana (Dec. 29) and ULM (Jan. 19).
• At Louisiana's game against ULM at the Cajundome on Feb. 16, those who have a completed passport with eight stamps will be recognized on the court at some point during the game.
• For more information on tickets, contact the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2357. For information concerning parking, contact the RCAF at (337) 851-2903.
CAJUNS CARE TICKET INITIATIVE
• Help Louisiana Athletics continue to give back! After a successful start during the 2018 football season, the Cajuns Care program will allow Ragin' Cajuns fans the opportunity to purchase Louisiana men's basketball season tickets for $20.
• Tickets purchased through the Cajuns Care program will be donated to local charitable and philanthropic initiatives, including Boys & Girls Club of Acadiana, the United Way and area military servicemen and servicewomen.
• Fans and supporters of Louisiana men's basketball can find the option to purchase Cajuns Care season tickets online, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at the Cajundome (337-265-2357) or visiting in-person.
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Twitter (@RaginCajunsMBB), Facebook (RaginCajunsMBB) or Instagram (@RaginCajunsMBB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Men's Basketball.