Men's Basketball: Gant Claims SBC, LSWA Player Of The Week Honors
Matt Sullivan, Associate Director of Athletics Communications
Senior one of five players nationally averaging 30.0 points per game in league play
Story LinksLAFAYETTE – Louisiana's JaKeenan Gant picked up a pair of weekly honors on Monday after he was selected as both the Sun Belt Conference and Louisiana Sports Writers Association Men's Basketball Player of the Week.
Gant, a 6-foot-8 senior from Springfield, Ga., continued his torrid start to Sun Belt Conference play by helping Louisiana (11-6, 2-2 SBC) earn a split during its two-game trip to Georgia.
The SBC weekly honor was the first for a Ragin' Cajun since Frank Bartley shared the award on Nov. 28, 2017. The LSWA honor was the second for Gant after he was named the LSWA Player of the Month for November.
In two games last week, Gant averaged 29.0 points, 11.5 rebounds, 3.0 blocks and 2.5 steals in his return to his native state while posting double-doubles in both contests extending his season-total to six and his active streak to three. He went 23-for-38 (60.5 percent) from the floor, 4-for-8 from behind the 3-point line and 8-for-8 from the free throw line.
Gant opened the week with a 36-point, 11-rebound contest at Georgia State, going 14-for-21 from the floor. He concluded the week at Georgia Southern, playing a half-hour from his hometown, and scored 22 points, grabbed 12 rebounds, dished out a career-high five assists and blocked five shots - including one in the final seconds - as Louisiana claimed an 87-85 thriller.
On the season, Gant is fourth in the Sun Belt Conference in scoring (19.8), third in rebounds (8.2), second in field goal percentage (.545), fourth in free throw percentage (.828) and the league leader in blocked shots (3.0). Gant, who is averaging 30.5 points and 10.0 rebounds in SBC play, is one of five players nationally averaging 30.0 points in conference games.
Louisiana will return to action on Saturday when it travels to face ULM in a 2 p.m., contest at Fant-Ewing Coliseum.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, or individual game tickets are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, or by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2357.
• All current UL faculty and staff, along with recent graduates (within the last five years), can purchase season tickets at a 50-percent discount to cheer on the Ragin' Cajuns during the 2018-19 season at the Cajundome.
• The special package will allow recent graduates of Louisiana to purchase tickets in sections 101-103. Discounts will be applied upon confirmation of graduate status by the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office.
GET YOUR PASSPORT
• The game against Southern is part of the "Louisiana Passport," which will recognize Ragin' Cajuns fans who attend all eight of Louisiana's scheduled games against in-state opponents during the 2018-19 season.
• Each game, beginning with the Ragin' Cajuns Nov. 28 game at New Orleans, fans will get their passport stamped at a location to be determined. In-state games for the Ragin' Cajuns include home games against Southern (Dec. 1), Loyola (Dec. 5), Louisiana Tech (Dec. 15) and ULM (Feb. 16), with additional road games slated against McNeese State (Dec. 18), Southeastern Louisiana (Dec. 29) and ULM (Jan. 19).
• At Louisiana's game against ULM at the Cajundome on Feb. 16, those who have a completed passport with eight stamps will be recognized on the court at some point during the game.
• For more information on tickets, contact the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2357. For information concerning parking, contact the RCAF at (337) 851-2903.
CAJUNS CARE TICKET INITIATIVE
• Help Louisiana Athletics continue to give back! After a successful start during the 2018 football season, the Cajuns Care program will allow Ragin' Cajuns fans the opportunity to purchase Louisiana men's basketball season tickets for $20.
• Tickets purchased through the Cajuns Care program will be donated to local charitable and philanthropic initiatives, including Boys & Girls Club of Acadiana, the United Way and area military servicemen and servicewomen.
• Fans and supporters of Louisiana men's basketball can find the option to purchase Cajuns Care season tickets online, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at the Cajundome (337-265-2357) or visiting in-person.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram (@RaginCajunsMBB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Men's Basketball.