Back to Articles
Volleyball: Texas State Takes Four-Set Match from Ragin' Cajuns
LAFAYETTE – Carried by a steady and efficient offensive attack Texas State was able to claim a four-set match from Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Volleyball on Sunday at Earl K. Long Gym.
The Bobcats scored at least 15 kills each set and hit .338 for the match in posting the 3-1 (25-17, 22-25, 25-18, 25-15) win over the Ragin' Cajuns.
Louisiana (9-7, 1-1 Sun Belt) out-blocked the visitors by a 10-8 margin, with four blocks coming in the second set victory which marked the first set loss for Texas State (11-5, 2-0 Sun Belt) in nine tries.
A 5-0 start to the opening set carried the Bobcats to an early lead in the match. Behind a .394 hitting percentage (15 K, 2 E, 33 TA) the Ragin' Cajuns won an offensive showcase in the second set to even the contest.
Louisiana turned to its defense to put away the second set as back-to-back blocks, of which Dree'Ana Abram had a hand in, stretched the lead to 24-20.
Texas State benefitted from four Ragin' Cajuns attack errors in the first eight rallies of the third set to establish momentum. In the match-clincher the Bobcats took advantage of an 18-9 edge in kills, getting three straight during a 4-0 run which stretched the lead to 14-7.
The Ragin' Cajuns, who defeated UT Arlington in four sets Friday evening, finished the opening weekend of Sun Belt Conference play with a split.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Nia Antoine grabbed team-high honors in kills once again, matching her 15-kill output from Friday night. Antoine finished SBC-opening weekend with 30 kills on a .455 hitting percentage.
Hanna Rovira also reached double digits in kills, landing 11 kills off 30 swings. Abram added eight kills and Desiree Johnson provided five kills.
Leading blockers for Louisiana were Abram (1 BS, 4 BA), Johnson (0 BS, 4 BA), Antoine (1 BS, 2 BA) and Hali Wisnoskie (2 BS, 1 BA) who each had at least three blocks.
Libero Sydney Davis hauled in 15 digs and setter Avery Breaux chipped in 11 digs to record her third consecutive double-double.
- Louisiana posted 10 blocks for the second straight outing, ending Sun Belt-opening weekend with 20 blocks (2.5/set).
- Sydney Davis recorded her 90th career match of double-digit digs. She increased her career digs total to 1,738 which moves her within 125 digs of matching Lindsay Brown's rally scoring era record total (1,863).
- Dree'Ana Abram finished the weekend with 10 total blocks (2 BS, 8 BA). Now at 193 career blocks, she sits seven away from the 200-mark.
- Nia Antoine produced double digits in kills in consecutive matches for the first time since matches against Southern and Montana State (Sept. 4-7).
- Desiree Johnson reached the five-kill mark for the 13th consecutive match (streak dates back to Aug. 31 vs. Mississippi Valley).
Louisiana is scheduled to travel to face Coastal Carolina and Appalachian State in the squad's first road Sun Belt matches of the season the weekend of Sept. 28-30.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Twitter (@RaginCajunsVB), Facebook (/RaginCajunsVB) or Instagram (@RaginCajunsVB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Volleyball.
- www.RaginCajuns.com -
Send this Page to a Friend!