Back to Articles
Softball: Troy Takes Pitcher's Duel From No. 21 Louisiana in Series Finale
TROY, Ala. – 21st-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball and Troy battled in a pitcher's duel on Sunday that the homestanding Trojans claimed 2-1 as the two teams wrapped up a Sun Belt series.
Louisiana's Summer Ellyson and Troy's Annie Davis carried a 1-1 battle into the fifth inning. At that point both pitchers had limited the opposition to two hits.
The Trojans were able to snap the tie in their half of the fifth inning with a solo home run and Davis retired six of the last seven she faced to collect the victory.
Louisiana (20-7, 7-2 Sun Belt) entered the game with the series victory in hand after sweeping Troy (18-14, 4-5 Sun Belt) by a 4-2 (11 inn.), 8-7 count in Saturday's doubleheader.
No. 21 Louisiana welcomes South Alabama to Lamson Park over Easter Weekend for the next Sun Belt Conference series. The Ragin' Cajuns and Jaguars will meet Friday-Saturday, March 30-31.
The USA series will consist of a 4 p.m. doubleheader on Good Friday televised by Cox Sports Television and a 1 p.m. single game on Saturday.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Brittany Rodriguez picked up her third double of the weekend series as she led off the game with a fly ball off the left field wall.
Alissa Dalton brought home the Ragin' Cajuns tally when she executed a squeeze bunt in the first inning which plated Rodriguez.
Ellyson, who worked 11 innings in the series opener, came back and gave Louisiana another outstanding outing. She pitched 4-1/3 innings, limited Troy to three hits and struck out five.
Casey Dixon tossed 1-2/3 scoreless innings of relief to keep the Trojans lead at a single run.
HOW IT HAPPENED
After Rodriguez's game-starting double, Kara Gremillion dropped down a bunt single that advanced her to third base. Dalton's bunt plated Rodriguez for a 1-0 lead.
The Trojans drew even in the bottom of the second when Madeline Porter led off with a solo homer.
Davis continued her string of consecutive batters retired, which began on Dalton's first-inning bunt, into the fifth inning to keep the stalemate intact.
Kaylee Hussey won a 10-pitch at bat with Ellyson by driving a home run over the center field wall with one out in the fifth inning to give Troy a 2-1 lead.
Louisiana had a chance a two-out rally in the seventh inning after Kourtney Gremillion singled. Aeriyl Mass lifted by ball into the right field corner, but it was tracked down for the final out.
- Louisiana had its season-best, seven-game winning streak snapped. It was the first loss since falling in the middle game of the Coastal Carolina series on March 10.
- Adding in Brittany Rodriguez's double, the Ragin' Cajuns collected nine extra base hits in Troy (six doubles, two home runs, one triple).
- Brittany Rodriguez posted a team-best four hits in the series which included her first three doubles of the season.
- Louisiana's pitching staff limited Troy to a .140 average. It was the second straight weekend holding the opposition to a sub-.200 average (App State hit .081).
- Through three weekends of Sun Belt play the Ragin' Cajuns pitching staff sports a 1.33 ERA and has held foes to a .137 average.
- Troy's win snapped the Ragin' Cajuns series win streak at 10 games. Louisiana now holds a 36-6 all-time series edge (15-4 at Troy Softball Complex).
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
For more information on Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball, as well as all of Ragin' Cajuns Athletics, visit RaginCajuns.com. Fans can also follow along with the team on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB) and Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB).
Send this Page to a Friend!