Back to Articles
Softball: No. 15 Louisiana Bests Memphis in Extras to Close Louisiana Classics
LAFAYETTE – 15th-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball concluded the 32nd Annual Louisiana Classics tournament at Lamson Park with a 6-3 win over Memphis in 11 innings.
Louisiana (11-3) forged a 3-all tie in the sixth inning and later broke the stalemate in the fourth extra frame to complete the squad's sixth come-from-behind triumph this season.
Summer Ellyson turned in another gem in the circle, working 9-2/3 innings in relief holding Memphis (7-5) without an earned run.
The Ragin' Cajuns wrapped up a 4-1 mark in the Louisiana Classics and claimed the tournament championship with the win over the Tigers.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Brittany Rodriguez tallied her season-high total for hits with a 4-for-6 performance at the plate. Kourtney Gremillion also reached her season high in hits in a 3-for-5 performance.
Casidy Chaumont (2-for-5, 2 RBI) produced a run-scoring double, a run-scoring single and made a leaping catch to rob a Memphis hitter of a hit in the 10th inning which provided the Cajuns a spark for the 11th inning.
Beth Ashley collected a pair of doubles giving her a second consecutive multiple-hit game to close out the weekend.
Jolie Readeaux executed a critical sacrifice bunt in the 11th inning to move a runner to third base and set the stage for Alissa Dalton's grounder to the right side which brought home the game-winning run.
Ellyson limited Memphis to four hits in her relief stint. She closed strong collecting five strikeouts over the final four innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Louisiana grabbed a 1-0 lead in the second inning off a double from Chaumont. The Tigers answered in the bottom half with two runs off a single by Tyler Johnson and added an unearned run to their lead in the fourth inning.
Ashley's first double of the day started off the sixth inning for the Ragin' Cajuns and led to her scoring off an RBI single from Chaumont to cut the deficit to 3-2. The equalizer crossed when Kelli Martinez bounced the ball to shortstop and pinch runner Kalyn Watts slid underneath the tag.
Ellyson and Memphis pitcher Molly Smith swapped scoreless frames until back-to-back infield singles from Martinez and Rodriguez opened the 11th inning and later resulted in the tiebreaking run being plated on Dalton's grounder.
Louisiana added extra insurance, as a dropped foul ball led to Kara Gremillion singling home Rodriguez and Ashley's second double of the contest bringing her home to increase the lead to 6-3.
- In 23-2/3 innings pitched in the Louisiana Classics, Summer Ellyson did not allow an earned run. She limited foes to just eight hits and a .105 average.
- Beth Ashley closed the weekend with three doubles over the final two games. As a team, the Ragin' Cajuns produced 10 doubles in the Louisiana Classics.
- Louisiana improved to 3-0 in extra innings in the 2018 season. Prior to Sunday, the Ragin' Cajuns defeated Eastern Illinois in nine innings on Feb. 10 and Florida in 11 innings last Sunday.
- The Ragin' Cajuns 15 hits gave the squad double digit hits in three of the five Louisiana Classics outings (11 vs. North Florida on Feb. 23; 12 vs. UMBC on Feb. 24). For the season, Louisiana has reached double figures in hits six times.
- Louisiana closed its season-opening homestand, which began with the Mardi Gras Classic back on Feb. 8, with an 11-3 mark.
- Louisiana and Memphis met for the first time since the 2014 season, which was the last time the Tigers visited Lamson Park (2014 Ragin' Cajuns Invitational).
No. 15 Louisiana competes away from Lamson Park for the first time in the Gerry Glasco era next weekend traveling to Fullerton, Calif., to participate in the Judi Garman Classic.
During the event, scheduled for Friday-Sunday, March 2-4 on the Cal State Fullerton campus, the Ragin' Cajuns will face No. 20 Michigan on Friday, Iowa and Michigan State on Saturday, then wrap up play on Sunday against Fresno State and No. 8 Baylor.
For more information on Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball, as well as all of Ragin' Cajuns Athletics, visit RaginCajuns.com. Fans can also follow along with the team on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB) and Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB).
Send this Page to a Friend!