Back to Articles
Softball: 15th-Ranked Ragin' Cajuns Power Past North Florida
LAFAYETTE – Powered by an 11-hit attack the 15th-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball squad moved to 2-0 in the Louisiana Classics tournament with an 8-6 win over North Florida at Lamson Park.
The Ragin' Cajuns (9-2) responded to a three-run first from North Florida (7-7) by plating six runs in the bottom half to erase the early deficit and never looked back.
Louisiana finished the night with a season-high four extra base hits – all doubles. It was the team's fifth come-from-behind win this season.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Alissa Dalton turned in a 3-for-4 showing at the plate, reaching three hits for the fourth time and collecting her team-leading sixth multiple-hit game.
A pair of newcomers energized the offense as freshman Caitlin Garcia and sophomore transfer Kynadi Tipler each posted two RBI. Garcia gave Louisiana the lead for good with a two-run double in the first inning – her first collegiate base hit.
In the circle, Casey Dixon held UNF to a single run over her final three innings of work and earned her second collegiate victory. Kylee Jo Trahan bridged the gap to the final inning by tossing a scoreless fifth and sixth inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Ospreys benefitted from a pair of infield singles and a two-out walk to load the bases in the top of the first, then Tiffany Lower laced a bases-clearing triple into the right field corner.
Kourtney Gremillion ignited the Ragin' Cajuns response in the bottom of the first with a one-out double. Dalton and Kara Gremillion followed with base hits to push across the initial run, a fielder's choice grounder pulled the hosts within a run and then Garcia's double made it 4-3.
After UNF plated another two-out run in the fourth inning, Louisiana responded immediately once again. Two runs were pushed across in the bottom half off a double from Tipler and a Casidy Chaumont sacrifice fly and the lead was extended to 8-4.
The Ospreys were able to get a pair of runs off of Trahan in the seventh inning and had the bases loaded. A strikeout looking of pinch hitter Becca Enter wrapped up the win for Louisiana.
- Louisiana's 11 hits marked the team's fourth game reaching double digits. It was the highest output since 11 vs. Iowa on Feb. 11.
- Alissa Dalton extended her hitting streak to eight games. During the streak, which dates back to Feb. 10 vs. Eastern Illinois, she is batting 19-fo-31 (.613).
- The Ragin' Cajuns played error-free for the third consecutive game. For the season, the squad has committed just nine errors over 329 chances (.973 FLD%).
- The contest marked the first-ever meeting between Louisiana and North Florida.
- Prior to Friday, UNF pitching had yielded more than five runs only twice in 13 previous games (9 vs. #2 Florida, 6 vs RV McNeese).
- With the crowd of 1,675 in attendance, the Ragin' Cajuns have drawn over 1,500 for each of their eight playing dates at Lamson Park thus far.
No. 15 Louisiana plays a pair of games in the 32nd Annual Louisiana Classics on Saturday. The Ragin' Cajuns are set to face North Florida at 2 p.m. and UMBC at 7 p.m. at Lamson Park.
For a complete list of games, links to live stats and video, plus ticket and parking info visit Tournament Central at www.RaginCajuns.com/SoftballLouisianaClassics.
For more information on Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball, as well as all of Ragin' Cajuns Athletics, visit RaginCajuns.com. Fans can also follow along with the team on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB) and Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB).
Send this Page to a Friend!