Back to Articles
Softball: Ellyson Twirls No-Hitter in 15th-Ranked Ragin' Cajuns Louisiana Classics Opener
LAFAYETTE – 15th-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball followed the lead of a no-hitter tossed by sophomore pitcher Summer Ellyson in a 4-0 win over Southeastern Louisiana in the opening game of the 32nd Annual Louisiana Classics at Lamson Park.
Ellyson retired a series of 18 consecutive batters after a leadoff walk to start the game in crafting her first career no-hitter.
The Ragin' Cajuns (8-2) broke a scoreless tie in the third inning with runs off an errant throw and ground out, then the outcome was solidified by Ellyson's continued mastering of the Lions batters.
Louisiana extended its series win streak over Southeastern Louisiana (7-3) to 31 games. It was the Ragin' Cajuns first regular season no-hitter since the 2016 season and first occurrence overall since the May 2017 NCAA Baton Rouge Regional game vs. McNeese (Alex Stewart).
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Ellyson faced just two batters over the minimum, finishing with five strikeouts against two walks. The lone time an SLU runner reached second base was on a stolen base with two outs in the seventh inning.
Casidy Chaumont's sacrifice bunt in the third inning put the pressure on the Lions' defense which led to the errant throw the brought home the game-winning tally.
Alissa Dalton went 2-for-3 at the plate for her team-leading XX multiple-hit game. Her first base hit followed up a leadoff walk by Kara Gremillion in that tie-breaking third inning and set the stage for Chaumont's bunt creating havoc.
Aeriyl Mass picked up her second triple of the season leading off the sixth inning and later scored to increase the Ragin' Cajuns cushion to four runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The two teams were scoreless through two complete as SLU pitcher Lacey Hill was able to work out of jams in the first two frames and strand four Louisiana runners.
Gremillion walked for the second straight at bat to start the bottom of the third inning. After Dalton singled, Chaumont executed the sacrifice attempt and the throw from Madison Watson was wide of the first base bag. Gremillion scored on the play and Dalton, who moved to third on the miscue, trotted home on a grounder for a 2-0 lead.
Leadoff hits from Dalton (fifth inning) and Mass (sixth inning) led to additional runs being tacked on for the Ragin' Cajuns. Dalton scored off a throwing error on a double-steal attempt, while Mass also scored on a grounder two at bats after her triple.
- Summer Ellyson added to already impressive season resume which also includes a 20-strikeout effort vs. Evansville (Feb. 9) and an 11-inning, 185-pitch effort in a win over No. 2 Florida (Feb. 18).
- Over the past two starts (#2 Florida, SLU), Summer Ellyson has yielded just three runs and eight hits over 18 innings pitched.
- The Ragin' Cajuns leadoff hitter reached base five out of six innings.
- For the 10th consecutive game to start the season, Alissa Dalton did not strikeout. Her streak of consecutive plate appearances without a strikeout now stands at 38.
- The last no-hitter by a Ragin' Cajun at Lamson Park was pitched by Victoria Brown back on Feb. 28, 2016 vs. Alcorn State.
- Louisiana increased its all-time series lead over Southeastern Louisiana to 46-1.
- With the crowd of 1,609 in attendance, the Ragin' Cajuns have drawn over 1,500 for each of their seven playing dates at Lamson Park thus far.
No. 15 Louisiana continues play in the 32nd Annual Louisiana Classics on Friday facing North Florida at 5 p.m. at Lamson Park.
For a complete list of games, links to live stats and video, plus ticket and parking info visit Tournament Central at www.RaginCajuns.com/SoftballLouisianaClassics.
For more information on Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball, as well as all of Ragin' Cajuns Athletics, visit RaginCajuns.com. Fans can also follow along with the team on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB) and Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB).
Send this Page to a Friend!