Volleyball: Cajuns Capture Victory on Final Day in Chicago - After Splitting Pair of Matches
CHICAGO – The Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Volleyball team secured its second winning record in a weekend tournament following a 3-1 (25-20, 12-25, 25-23, 25-16) win over Eastern Michigan on Saturday in the Chicago State Invitational.
Cajuns Split Pair of Matches at Chicago State Invite
a split in action on the opening day of the Chicago State Invitational at the Jacoby Dickens Center.
The Ragin' Cajuns (5-7) fired away at a .344 clip in besting host-Chicago State 3-1 (25-17, 25-14, 22-25, 25-13) to start the day. In the nightcap, the squad was limited to a .067 hitting percentage and fell to Wright State in three sets (19-25, 23-25, 17-25).
Louisiana posted at least 15 kills in all three set victories over CSU (7-5) and totaled 60 in the match. The squad was held below a .100 hitting percentage for only the third time this season in the loss to WSU (5-7).
Graduate senior setter Jessica Bartczyszyn, who hails from Cary, Ill., played a collegiate match in her home state for the first time in her career.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Stacey Reilly (Sr., OH, Houston, Texas) and Dree'Ana Abram (So., MB, Marshall, Texas) both tallied 13 kills in leading a quartet of Cajuns in double figures against Chicago State. Hali Wisnoskie (Fr., OH, Columbus, Texas) landed 12 kills and Nia Antoine (Jr., MB, Lafayette, La.) added 10 kills.
Bartczyszyn handed out 50 assists in helping lead Louisiana to its second-highest hitting percentage of the season. She reached 50 for the second time this season and XX time her career.
Sydney Davis (Jr., LB, Baton Rouge, La.) scooped a season-high 27 digs and Avery Breaux (Fr., S, Scott, La.) joined her in double digits with 13. The Cajuns out-dug the Cougars, 71-54.
Abram and Antoine each posted four blocks in leading Louisiana to an 8-7 advantage in the match.
Reilly was the leader in kills against Wright State, adding nine more to her total on the day. Davis collected a match-high in digs once again with her 19 leading all players in the contest with the Raiders.
Reilly picked up her 1,000th career dig during the Chicago State contest. She becomes the first outside hitter to reach the mark in the rally scoring era (2001-present).
Louisiana concludes its stay in Chicago with a 2 p.m. match on Saturday against Eastern Michigan.
HOW IT HAPPENED
CHICAGO STATE: After recovering from an early deficit in the first set, the Cajuns utilized back-to-back blocks to trigger a 5-0 run that opened an 18-12 lead and solidified the win. Louisiana collected the first five points of the second set and thanks to a .500 hitting percentage in the frame were never threatened. The Cougars made an early lead hold up in the third set and extended the match. After the Cajuns trimmed the host's lead to 13-12, CSU collected a sideout and took advantage of three straight miscues by the visitors to open a 17-12 lead. Louisiana hit .438 in the fourth set enabling the team to pull away and seal the match.
WRIGHT STATE: Kills from Bartczyszyn and Reilly gave the Cajuns an 8-4 lead in the opening set. Wright State, which hit .382 in the set, used an 8-2 spurt to take the lead for good. There were nine ties and four lead changes in the second set. Louisiana led 17-14 after Chynna Brooks kill, but four unanswered put the Raiders ahead. WSU fought off two ties late to open a 2-0 advantage. The Cajuns offense was unable to get untracked in the third set, committing nine errors and hitting -.025 in the defeat.
- Both matches marked the first-ever meeting between the Ragin' Cajuns and the opposition.
- Dree'Ana Abram hit a season-best .550 (13 K, 2 E, 20 TA) in the Chicago State contest. She hit double digits in kills for the first time since the season opener vs. Tulane.
- Hali Wisnoskie's 12 kills vs. Chicago State marked the freshman outside hitter's fifth match with double digits.
- Stacey Reilly's 22 kills on the day increased her career tally to 857. Already having reached 1,000 career digs, she's steadily working her way to a 1,000-1,000 career.
- Sydney Davis, who scooped 46 digs combined over both matches, ended the day averaging nearly seven digs per set. She increased her season digs average to 4.59 per set.
- Louisiana's .344 hitting percentage vs. Chicago State was the second-best performance of the season, trailing only the .460 performance vs. Mississippi Valley (Sept. 2).
- The Ragin' Cajuns returned to form in serve receive, committing only two reception errors over seven sets on Friday. In the team's last outing vs. Mississippi State, the Bulldogs posted 11 service aces.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
For more information on Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Volleyball, as well as all of Ragin' Cajuns Athletics, visit RaginCajuns.com. Fans can also follow along with the team on Facebook (/ULVolleyball), Twitter (@RaginCajunsVB) and Instagram (@RaginCajunsVB).