Back to Articles
Softball: No. 10 Louisiana Pulls Away from Troy in Series Opener
Click here for the Athletic Network Tribute to Coach Yvette Girouard - scroll down to view Living Memorials written by former players, coaches, administrators, and others.
Click here for post-game video of Yvette Girouard and Dan McDonald with Yvette describing her reaction to the surprise of the softball field being named the "Yvette Girouard Field."
LAFAYETTE – On the night the program's home facility was renamed Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park in honor of its original architect, 10th-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball captured a 9-1 (6 inn.) win over Troy.
Julie Rawls fueled the offense with five RBI and Summer Ellyson left eight Trojans baserunners stranded as the Ragin' Cajuns (21-3, 4-0 Sun Belt) stretched their winning streak to six games.
A 1-0 game in the third inning, Rawls stemmed the tide in Louisiana's favor with a two-run home run to right field.
The Trojans (18-10, 2-2 Sun Belt) picked up a run in the next half inning, but the Ragin' Cajuns had a quick answer. A five-spot by the hosts, capped off by bases-clearing, three-run double from Rawls, put the game out of reach.
LEADING THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Rawls finished 3-for-3 at the plate marking the fourth consecutive game she's tallied multiple hits.
Rania O'Neal started the scoring in the decisive fourth inning a home run of her own. The two-run blast was Louisiana's 30th home run of the season.
Lexie Comeaux and Kara Gremillion both walked twice and scored each time. Keeli Milligan picked up two more stolen bases, the latter leading to a throwing error which resulted in the run-rule clinching tally in the sixth inning.
Ellyson posted eight more strikeouts which increased her week-long total to 36 over 18 innings pitched. She bought time for the offense to get untracked, as Troy would leave seven runners on base through the first three innings.
- Julie Rawls raised her season batting average to .463. She's hitting 112 points higher since the beginning of March.
- Dating back to March 1, Julie Rawls is hitting 12-for-17 (.706) with two home runs, four doubles and 13 RBI.
- Raina O'Neal's single in the second inning stretched her current hitting streak to seven games, tying her with Lexie Comeaux for the longest streak this season.
- Keeli Milligan upped her stolen base total to 32 in as many attempts. The program's single-season mark is 51 set by Dorsey Steamer in 1992.
- For the fifth consecutive start, Summer Ellyson held the opposition to one earned run or less. She posted her 11th outing of at least five strikeouts, increasing her total to a Sun Belt-Conference leading 119.
10th-ranked Louisiana and Troy meet in Game 2 of the Sun Belt Conference series on Saturday at 2 p.m. The contest can be heard on SportsRadio ESPN 1420-AM and viewed online at RaginCajuns.com/Watch.
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB), Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Instagram (@Louisiana.SB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2170 or by visiting the ticket office in person Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and extended hours during Ragin' Cajuns basketball events.
• Fans who purchase season tickets receive priority access for any potential NCAA postseason games held at Lamson Park.
• For information on premium seating and parking at Lamson Park, contact the Ragin' Cajuns Athletic Foundation (RCAF) at (337) 851-2903. General admission parking at Cajun Field will be free for all games during the 2019 season.
Send this Page to a Friend!