Back to Articles
Men's Basketball: Cold Start Dooms Ragin' Cajuns In Loss At App State, 104-77
Gant's double-double not enough as Cajuns' two-game win streak snapped
BOONE, N.C. – Tyrell Johnson came off the bench to score 20 points to lead five players in double figures and Appalachian State scored the game's first 17 points to defeat the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns, 104-77, in a Sun Belt Conference game on Thursday at the Holmes Center.
Justin Forrest scored 17 points to App State (7-14, 2-6 SBC), which won its second straight game and earned its first-ever victory over Louisiana (13-8, 4-4 SBC) in nine contests. Hunter Seacat added 14 points, Ronshad Shabazz 12 and Isaac Johnson 10 as the Mountaineers led 51-31 at halftime and 72-39 with 14:17 remaining.
Louisiana, which was led by JaKeenan Gant with 15 points and 10 rebounds, missed its first eight shots of the game before a bucket by Cedric Russell with 14:51 left in the first half ended the opening run by App State.
The Ragin' Cajuns trailed 31-10 after Johnson sank a pair of free throws with 9:57 left in the first half before chipping away at the lead. Louisiana used a 17-7 run that cut the deficit to 38-27 on a 3-pointer by P.J. Hardy with 3:39 left, but Isaac Johnson opened a 9-0 run for the Mountaineers with a bucket before Tyrell Johnson sank a 3-pointer to push the lead to 43-27.
A bucket by Gant with 18:58 remaining helped Louisiana cut the lead to 53-35 before App State blew the game open with a 19-4 run, that was capped by a free throw by Tyrell Johnson, for a 72-39 lead.
Jerekius Davis scored 12 of his 13 points in the second half for the Ragin' Cajuns while Jeremy Hayes came off the bench to add 12. Justin Miller added nine points for the Ragin' Cajuns, who finished 28-for-62 (45 percent) from the floor and 5-for-27 (19 percent) from behind the 3-point line.
Isaac Johnson pulled down 14 rebounds and added five steals for Appalachian State, which forced Louisiana into a season-high 21 turnovers.
Louisiana will return to action on Saturday (Feb. 2) when it travels to face Coastal Carolina in Conway, S.C. Tipoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. CT and will be streamed live on ESPN
SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE
• Season tickets, beginning at $100, are available online at RaginCajuns.com using Account Manager, or by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2357.
• All current UL faculty and staff, along with recent graduates (within the last five years), can purchase season tickets at a 50-percent discount to cheer on the Ragin' Cajuns during the 2018-19 season at the Cajundome.
• The special package will allow recent graduates of Louisiana to purchase tickets in sections 101-103. Discounts will be applied upon confirmation of graduate status by the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office.
GET YOUR PASSPORT
• The game against Southern is part of the "Louisiana Passport," which will recognize Ragin' Cajuns fans who attend all eight of Louisiana's scheduled games against in-state opponents during the 2018-19 season.
• Each game, beginning with the Ragin' Cajuns Nov. 28 game at New Orleans, fans will get their passport stamped at a location to be determined. In-state games for the Ragin' Cajuns include home games against Southern (Dec. 1), Loyola (Dec. 5), Louisiana Tech (Dec. 15) and ULM (Feb. 16), with additional road games slated against McNeese State (Dec. 18), Southeastern Louisiana (Dec. 29) and ULM (Jan. 19).
• At Louisiana's game against ULM at the Cajundome on Feb. 16, those who have a completed passport with eight stamps will be recognized on the court at some point during the game.
• For more information on tickets, contact the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at (337) 265-2357. For information concerning parking, contact the RCAF at (337) 851-2903.
CAJUNS CARE TICKET INITIATIVE
• Help Louisiana Athletics continue to give back! After a successful start during the 2018 football season, the Cajuns Care program will allow Ragin' Cajuns fans the opportunity to purchase Louisiana men's basketball season tickets for $20.
• Tickets purchased through the Cajuns Care program will be donated to local charitable and philanthropic initiatives, including Boys & Girls Club of Acadiana, the United Way and area military servicemen and servicewomen.
• Fans and supporters of Louisiana men's basketball can find the option to purchase Cajuns Care season tickets online, by calling the Louisiana Athletics Ticket Office at the Cajundome (337-265-2357) or visiting in-person.
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Twitter (@RaginCajunsMBB), Facebook (RaginCajunsMBB) or Instagram (@RaginCajunsMBB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Men's Basketball.
Send this Page to a Friend!