Back to Articles
Softball: Cajuns Receive 20th Consecutive NCAA Tournament Berth
No. 21 Louisiana assigned to NCAA Baton Rouge Regional, play begins Friday
LAFAYETTE – The Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball program secured its 20th consecutive NCAA Tournament berth when it was revealed in Sunday's NCAA Softball Selection Show that the squad was placed into Baton Rouge Regional at Tiger Park on the LSU campus.
The Ragin' Cajuns, ranked No. 21 in both national polls and 21st in the most recent NCAA RPI rankings, were awarded an at-large berth into the postseason event.
It's the 28th appearance overall, all coming in the past 29 years, for the nationally recognized program. Since 1990, the Ragin' Cajuns have missed the NCAA's postseason event only once (1998).
The NCAA Baton Rouge Regional will feature top-seeded LSU (41-14), Louisiana (38-14), Houston (36-20) and Fordham (33-21).
The winner of the regional will play the winner of the NCAA Tallahassee Regional which features No. 6 national seed Florida State (47-10), Auburn (40-15), Kennesaw State (39-15) and Jacksonville State (33-23) in the super regional round for a trip to the Women's College World Series in Oklahoma City.
Action in the NCAA Baton Rouge Regional begins Friday with Louisiana and Houston at 3 p.m. on ESPN3 followed by LSU and Fordham at 5:30 p.m. on ESPN3. Friday's winners meet at 12 p.m. on Saturday for a spot in Championship Sunday, while the other two squads meet in an elimination game at 2:30 p.m.
Full information on the regional will be announced in the coming days at LSUsports.net.
RAGIN' CAJUNS SOFTBALL NCAA POSTSEASON FACTS
FOLLOW THE RAGIN' CAJUNS
- Louisiana's 28 NCAA Tournament appearances rank eighth (8th) in NCAA history (tied with Cal State Fullerton).
- Louisiana is just one of nine schools to play in the NCAA Tournament every year since 2000. The list includes: Alabama, Arizona, Florida State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, UCLA and Washington.
- The Ragin' Cajuns are 61-34 all-time in the NCAA Regional round, including a 27-7 mark in claiming regional championships and advancing to the super regional round in seven of the last 10 appearances (2008-17).
- The program's all-time overall record in the NCAA Tournament stands at 73-57, representing the 12th-most wins in NCAA history.
- Louisiana makes it second consecutive appearance (runner-up in 2017) and eighth trip overall to Baton Rouge for the NCAA Regional Round.
Follow the Ragin' Cajuns on Twitter (@RaginCajunsSB) and Facebook (/RaginCajunsSB) to stay up-to-date on all that is happening with Louisiana Softball.
NCAA BATON ROUGE REGIONAL SCHEDULE
Friday, May 18, 2018
G1: 3 p.m. – Houston vs. Louisiana (ESPN3)
G2: 5:30 p.m. – Fordham vs. LSU (ESPN3)
Saturday, May 19, 2018
G3: 12 p.m. – Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2
G4: 2:30 p.m. – Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2
G5: 5 p.m. – Winner Game 4 vs. Loser Game 3
Sunday, May 20, 2018
G6: 1 p.m. – Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 5
G7: 3:30 p.m. – (if necessary) Winner Game 6 vs. Loser Game 6
- www.RaginCajuns.com -
Send this Page to a Friend!